Monday, June 24, 2013

Journey to the 'Dragon's Lair'




"When are you leaving ?"

"Tomorrow  evening ...didn't get leaves ...."

"Still you should have a look at the Dam and the Forte before you leave "

"Sure bro" I said unconvincingly very keen on my morning sleep.

" You should really walk beneath the dam in the tunnel ...I would arrange the permission from the authorities"

I looked at him blankly with  are- you -kidding- me- that- sounds- scary look .

It was August 2012  my niece's (my cousin's daughter) first birthday and there was  grand party at Jhansi where my cousin was  posted in administrative capacity.


The month of August and a nice drizzle added charm to a road trip to Jhansi which I thought would be nothing but drab. I tested my new Nokia lumia all along the way clicking pictures through the moving vehicle.







                                     




                     




         


                            

I was thrilled when the hills started appearing. My geography isn't bad but I had no clue that Jhansi had hills.
                     
                           
                               



But after the party when this conversation happened I was sure I was stepping no tunnel.

However we woke up early morning and it kept drizzling . A sweet intoxicating drizzle when you dream of steaming oil drenched pakoras.

I was informed that we will pass Babina which is a cantonment town and  has a air base of strategic importance(if I remember correctly). The storm and rain the night before  made a tree surrender and block the road. The army men and locals  rescued the trip.

 




We finally reached Sukhwan-Dukhwan dam . Oh ! did I mention the name earlier? So it was the guest house first and then a little stroll to the dam .



   


                                                       
















The gush of water was spectacular and the rain made the place look even more beautiful. I spotted a cable car.



 
                                                                       


















Then came in the part to step in the recommended place . The Sukhwan Dukhwan Dam Wein. I wasn't going !The howling of the water wasn't encouraging.









Then some sudden rush of a 'never before' enlightenment made me walk down the steps .



As I stepped down my heart pounded. It felt that down below that dark alley were imprisoned a hundred roaring dragons spitting out fire and would engulf any mortal.Or perhaps an army of Lions ready to tear you apart.




 Instead the last step brought a gush of very strong cold  water drenched air. The roaring waters drowned our excited voices and  I walked through the wein occasinally finding the courage to really peep down.







.


It felt like this strong therapy  ... wind mingled with a water spray and a sound that would drown your thoughts .




( Tried to upload my own video but some technical issues . So till I do that posting a youtube video to show what it's like.)

The water fell down beating the drums of eternity telling you that even if it feels scary sometimes a walk down the steps to a strange sounding tunnel could help you find something unexpectedly magnificent.
























4 comments:

  1. That staircase gave me some kind of chill.. God that immense flow of water .. I cant dare to stand around 50 metres away !! :)
    Dams are beautiful man made waterfall zones ..and equally scary for me .. for the speed and depth!
    even i had no clue Jhansi has hills till I realize Jhansi fort was built high up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing Synesthesia...I could hear the turbulent cataract as I read your words :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for reading mysay ... but I am sure if you go there you would really want to touch the falling waters... one thing I forgot to mention.. if you watch the water too long through wein windows it creates an illusion that the water is rising up ... as in moving in reverse direction... as per the hills I made that correlation too later on.

      Delete

Would love to have your comments/suggestions....