Sunday, April 7, 2013

Baingan (Brinjal) chicken style

This sunday I finally decided to try a Chicken curry recipe. The result was delicious. However I am not going to exactly share the chicken recipe cos I ended up doing a very interesting experiment.



The thing is that Mom and me are non-vegetarian but dad became a vegetarian a couple of years back. So whenever we cook a non-veg dish dad is kind of left out. The only fitting substitute has always been a nice Paneer dish. Today we were out of paneer. But I wanted to cook something equally nice for Dad . Brinjal( baingan) is my Dad's favourite vegetable and we have some growing right in our back yard.


So I decided to use the phenomenon of 'Transfer of learning' and cook brinjals exactly the way I went about with the chicken so that dad can enjoy the vegetarian version.


Since the vegetable came right out from my kitchen garden so I could cook them with the skin without worrying about chemical contamination. I sliced the brinjal's in longitudinal fashion and then marinated it with yoghurt (dahi) along with salt (small quantity as more would be added during cooking ),coriander(Dhaniya) powder , cumin (zeera) powder and garam masala. A little bit of powdered red chilly . After marination I left it in the freezer for approximately 30 minutes.


In the meantime I made a paste of a medium sized onion , few garlic cloves , ginger, two small tomatoes and  a green chilly.



The paste was cooked in a non-stick pan with olive oil ( use oil of your choice) and then the marinated brinjals were added. Salt to taste with meat masala was added and brinjals cooked on medium heat . 

The final result was a  mouth watering Chicken style baingan garnished and served.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to have your comments/suggestions....